At last, a blog for Coalition of The Willing! I thought it was time to create a central place where everyone's work in progress can be shown. Thanks to all the collaborators for allowing me to show their developing work. This blog is mainly for the purpose of connecting the collaborators, showing work as it progresses and announcing any developments. The blog isn't meant to be the public face of the film. The film's website is currently being developed. So finally, just to say that Coalition Of The Willing is already shaping up into a wonderfully rich and diverse piece of work, an enormous thank you to everyone involved.

Thursday 17 September 2009

Parasol Island

After my talk at F5 the first guys I spoke to were Charles and Christian from Parasol Island. It was all a bit of a blur and we didn't stay chatting for ages, but I was excited to make contact with these guys, knowing their work so well. On my return to England I dug out their business cards, got in touch and we got cracking.

I asked the guys at Parasol Island if they had anything they'd been developing stylistically that they would like to bring to the film. They sent me this:




I loved the main character and thought the style could be a really good fit for the part of the polemic that explains 'open source' software development :
"The term ‘open source’ refers to a software development strategy in which the software source code is made available to a community, so that everyone can make changes and improvements. An example of the success of this strategy is the globally established computer operating system LINUX, which was created, and is constantly updated, by contributions from all over the world."
. I took their character and imagined him and his comrades in a virtual world where open source avatars build, paint and re-model virtual creations. Take a look at the storyboards:





Parasol then got back with a full on treatment and keyframes moving on from the storyboards i generated. They also developed a whole bunch of new ideas, like adding various different characters and making the balloons themselves spell out Linux.



No comments:

Post a Comment